Effective November 26, 2019
Thank you for choosing to be a part of my community. I, Griffen Schwiesow (“I”, “me”, or “my”), am committed to protecting your personal information and your right to privacy. If you have any questions or concerns about my policy or my practices with regards to your personal information, please contact me at email@example.com.
Table of Contents
- What information do I collect?
- How do I use your information?
- Will your information be shared with anyone?
- How long do I keep your information?
- How do I keep your information safe?
- Do I collect information from minors?
- What are your privacy rights?
- Controls for Do‐Not‐Track features.
- Do California residents have specific privacy rights?
- Do I make updates to this policy?
- How can you contact me about this policy?
What information do I collect?
1. Information automatically collected.
In short: Some information — such as IP address and/or browser and device characteristics — is collected automatically when you visit my Services.
I automatically collect certain information when you visit, use, or navigate the Services. This information does not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information) but may include device and usage information, such as your IP address, browser and device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, device name, country, location, information about how and when you use my Services, and other technical information. This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of my Services, and for my internal analytics and reporting purposes.
Like many businesses, I also collect information through cookies and similar technologies.
2. How do I use your information?
In short: I process your information for purposes based on legitimate business interests, the fulfillment of my contract with you, compliance with my legal obligations, and/or your consent.
I use personal information collected via my Services for a variety of business purposes desicribed below. I process your personal information for these purposes in reliance on my legitimate business interests, in order to enter into or perform a contract with you, with your consent, and/or for compliance with my legal obligations. I indicate the specific processing grounds I rely on next to each purpose below.
I use the information I collect or receive:
- To protect my Services. I may use your information as part of my efforts to keep my Services safe and secure (for example, for fraud monitoring and prevention).
- To deliver services to the user. I may use your information to provide you with the requested service (for example, remembering your preference for light or dark mode).
- For other Business Purposes. I may use your information for other Business Purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of my promotional campaigns, and to evaluate and improve my Services, products, marketing, and your experience. I may use and store this information in aggregated and anonymized form so that it is not associated with individual end users and does not include personal information. I will not use identifiable personal information without your consent.
3. Will your information be shared with anyone?
In short: I only share information with your consent, to comply with laws, to provide you with services, to protect your rights, or to fulfill business obligations.
I may process or share data based on the following legal basis:
- Consent: I may process your data if you have given me specific conset to use your personal information in a specific purpose.
- Legitimate Interests: I may process your data when it is reasonably necessary to achieve my legitimate business interests.
- Performance of a Contract: Where I have entered into a contract with you, I may process your personal information to fulfill the terms of our contract.
- Legal Obligations: I may disclose your information where I am legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Vital Interests: I may disclose your information where I believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which I am involved.
For clarification, I never process your data or share your personal information with vendors, consultants, or other third‐party service providers or advertisers unless one of the above situations requires it.
5. How long do I keep your information?
In short: I keep your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this privacy notice unless otherwise required by law.
I will only keep your personal information for as long as it is necessary for the purposes set out in this privacy notice, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (such as tax, accounting, or other legal requirements). No purpose in this policy will require me keeping your personal information for longer than 2 years.
When I have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, I will either delete or anonymize it, or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then I will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
6. How do I keep your information safe?
In short: I aim to protect your personal information through a system of organizational and technical security measures.
I have implemented appropriate technical and organizational security measures designed to protect the security of any personal information I process. However, please also remember that I cannot guarantee that the internet itself is 100% secure. Although I do my best to protect your personal information, transmission of personal information to and from my Services is at your own risk. You should only access the services within a secure environment.
7. Do I collect information from minors?
In short: I do not knowingly collect data from or market to children under 18 years of age.
I do not knowingly solicit data from or market to children under 18 years of age. By using the Services, you represent that you are at least 18 or that you are the parent or guardian of such a minor and consent to such a minor dependent's use of the Services. If I learn that personal information from users less than 18 years of age has been collected, I will take reasonable measures to promptly delete such data from my records. If you become aware of any data I have collected form children under age 18, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. What are your privacy rights?
In short: You may review, change, or terminate your information at anytime.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area and you believe I am unlawfully processing your personal information, you also have the right to complain to your local data protection supervisory authority. You can find their contact details at the European Commission website.
Cookies and similar technologies.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove cookies and to reject cookies. If you choose to remove cookies or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services of my Services (for example, remembering your preference for light or dark mode). I do not show you ads, nor do I share your information with advertisers. Any cookies I set are to remember your preferences and are only used in your browser to activate your preferences; I do not access, monitor, or keep track of any cookies.
9. Controls for Do‐Not‐Track features.
Most web browsers and some mobile operating systems and mobile applications include a Do‐Not‐Track (“DNT”) feature or setting you can activate to singal your privacy preference not to have data about your online browsing activities monitored and collected. No uniform technology standard for recognizing and implementing DNT signals has been finalized. However, I try my best to accomodate DNT browser signals and not track you if you are sending one.
10. Do California residents have specific privacy rights?
In short: Yes, if you are a resident of California, you are granted specific rights regarding access to your personal information. However, I have chosen to extend these rights to all users.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as the “Shine THe Light” law, permits my users who are California residents to request and obtain from me, once a year and free of charge, information about categories of personal information (if any) I disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes and the names and addresses of all third parties with which I shared personal information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request via email to email@example.com.
I do not share any information with third parties for marketing or advertising purposes, ever. I also extend the rights above to all users from any location.
11. Do I make updates to this policy?
In short: Yes, I will update this policy as necessary to stay compliant with relevant laws.
I may update this privacy notice from time to time. The updated version will be indicated by an updated “Revised” date and the updated version will be effective as soon as it is accessible. If I make material changes to this privacy notice, you will be able to see the changes by browsing the history on the GitHub repository. I encourage you to reveiw this privacy notice frequently to be informed of how I am protecting your information.
12. How can you contact me about this policy?
If you have questions or comments about this policy, please reach out to me, Griffen Schwiesow, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.